A Catholic Journey...

Welcome! I invite you to follow and share my spiritual journey into the Catholic Faith. I am using this blog to share my studies and musings on converting to Catholicism.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Minute Meditation- Repent

Repenting is Powerful


Repent is a powerful word. And it means the same as it did to the people walking around the dusty pathways in their sandals, trying to inch closer to Jesus as he passed through their town or village. Repent means “to turn back to God.”


— from Rediscover Lent

Today's minute meditation from American Catholic is a thought provoking quote that I feel compelled to share.  The word "repent" has always been a negative and confusing word for me.  It is not a negative word at all.  I agree it is powerful.  In my studies of the catholic faith, I am constantly trying to lose the gap in time and to not view today's culture as smarter and more enlightened than Jesus's generation.  Do you know what I mean?  I like to think more about if we were living at that time, rather than if Jesus were living in our time.  His disciples were some of the most intelligent men and women that have ever lived, they were no dummies.  I think most people view them as followers.  They were not followers in a negative way, they knew the truth and the truth had to be shared.  It is a shame that our generation cannot see Jesus in the flesh, that we have to go by faith alone.  I am lucky to feel repentant, to be able to "turn back to god" at this stage in my life.  I am becoming a more complete and fulfilled person.  I hope that my loved ones can at some point repent and find happiness with our creator.  God has a plan for all of us and when we open ourselves up to his love and guidance, we can all fulfill our paths with purpose and happiness.  I know a lot of my friends do not like to be preached to.  It is a big part of the catholic faith to share the message with others, whether they want it or not.  It is not being pushy, it is being open.  You can take it or leave it, but it is important for me to fulfill that part of my faith journey.  I can suggest that you repent, I can pray for you, what you do with it is up to you and I will not judge you.  I only love you and so does god.

No comments:

Post a Comment