A Catholic Journey...

Welcome! I invite you to follow and share my spiritual journey into the Catholic Faith. I am using this blog to share my studies and musings on converting to Catholicism.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

January 18th 2012

Holy in the Ordinary 

How often do we relegate to God only those things in which we feel he should have a say, yet exclude him from the ordinary things in life? 

— from The Bible's Best Love Stories


*****
I am just so blah today.  I am in a wednesday funk.  I had a pretty good morning, I went for a walk at the park with my new friend Katie and our babies.  The weather is just so icky out and I can't seem to open my eyes all the way today.  It's days like today where I wish I were more devout.  I need to start making these days about being thankful and happy about what I a blessed with.  It's so hard not to just wallow in myself.  I have no reason to feel this way and I feel like I also have no reason to not feel this way.  It's really very selfish.  Serena is down for a nap now and I can't bring myself to do anything productive.  Should we allow ourselves these days? Do I need to power through this and get up and do something productive?  Like the minute meditation quote above, I too often exclude god from ordinary life.  Today doesn't get more ordinary.  I need to figure out how to relegate God to today, to make today special and meaningful.  It seems these daily emails I get are really on spot lately.  A little nudge in the right direction.

4 comments:

  1. Nay,
    I think many of us can identify with the way that you are feeling. Do not be so hard on yourself. God is with you 100%. Offer up what you are feeling to Him, sometimes the most productive prayer can be made in these times in which we feel "unproductive"...In these quiet moments maybe say a Rosary, focus on the positives that surround you and all of the ways that God has revealed Himself and His love for you during your life. A life of faith definitely has its challenges and "colorful' emotions.....the conversion process is no doubt an emotional adventure, and one that is ongoing. Be patient with yourself Nay, and recognize that the Lord meets You where You are at. I will keep you in my prayers today :) p.s. this is a great moment to ask for the intercession of the Saints to aid you through...I suggest St. Therese of Avila
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to be hard on yourself, we all get days like this. Our Lord is by your side, He never leaves you. He knows what you are thinking and feeling and He will never give you more than He knows you can cope with. At times like these simple prayers to a favourite Saint will give you the spiritual dimension to help overcome any difficulty.
    This is quite a journey you have embarked upon, you are very brave and yes, there will be difficult times, questions, doubts and uncertainties. There will also be many blessings.
    He is with you and He will give you the strength you need.
    I shall keep you in my prayers,
    Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my grandma gave me a little worn prayer book when my baby went to the hospital that is PERFECT for days when your feeling like that. It kind of just prompts you along to pray about everything. In fact, I'm going to type it up and put it up as my blog post right now, I hope it helps you like it helped me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you watch EWTN there is a series I believe is called "spiritual discernment," (or something similar) where a priest goes over the rules of St.Ignatius of Loyola. There he talks about spiritual desolation and consolation. It seems like you are going through desolation at times which St.Ignatius tells us to reject. Peace and all good on your journey as a Catholic!

    ReplyDelete